Monday, July 03, 2006

The party's over...

But it was a gooood party. No fires, no injuries, no obnoxious drunken host wearing a fez. Just good times all around.

It was amazing how mellow everyone was. We ended up with nearly 3 cases of beer left over (although the 5 gallons of "Shingle Stain" tiki drink got totally consumed) and most folks left between 10-11 pm. As always, some of the best part of the party is the last hour or two where just a handful of people end up hanging out and talking. After running around checking on food and drinks and introducing people all night, that's a welcome respite.

What a wonderful feeling it was, looking out over the yard and seeing dozens of people having a good time. We've truly been blessed with good family and good friends. I did a head count this afternoon and found that we entertained 31 adults and 12 kids. We had a bunch of new friends that came to one of our parties for the first time, and that's after they've seen me singing karaoke Tom Jones! Lovely people.

The house and yard cleaned up pretty good--MizBubs' sister and her husband are really, really wonderful at getting all those bottlecaps and peeled-off beer bottle labels off your porch and lawn, call me if you need them at your next function. The sad thing was, I barely got to talk to them. I had to drag my ass off to work at 7am to practice marching up and down the square in preparation for the 4th of July parade. Did I mention that I'm part of my department's newly-formed honor guard? Oh, yes I am. And I gotta tell you, I look damn good in a uniform. Oh yes I do. I'm about to order my sword from eBay as we speak; you see, sergeants give the commands using a sword like in the USMC drill manual. I'm drunk with power just thinking about it.

Just before I sat down to write this, I finished putting together another training proposal, this time for a local hospital. They're looking for training for their security staff. A coworker came up with this lead, and it looks good right now, knock wood. This has been a good year so far for training corporate security people. I gotta tell you, typing up a proposal while you're sitting in your bathrobe sipping a bourbon, while your kids watch Howl's Moving Castle in the next room, just totally beats the crap out of being in an office doing the same thing in a suit and tie.

I am so looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, you think we do that for just anyone??