Sunday, October 22, 2006

I'm not running the marathon

Not this year, anyway. And I'm depressed because I'm not.

This year was going to be my third Chicago Marathon. I ran in 1999 and 2004, and I was really looking forward to running again this year. I was going to be lighter and faster than the other two times. Unfortunately a visit to the emergency room and a surprise surgery kind of put the kibosh on my training this summer. Right now I'm just taking pleasure in the knowledge that I don't have to be out of bed in 4 hours and standing in the 40 degree rain, waiting to run 26.2 miles. Matter of fact, by the time I drag my bourbon-soaked ass out of bed, the race will be finished.

Just wait till next year.

ADDED AT 12:12 PM:

Congratulations to Robert Cheruiyot of Kenya, this years Chicago Marathon winner with a finishing time of 2 hours, 7 minutes, 35 seconds. Hope his head feels better.

At 12:12 there's still thousands of runners crossing the finish line, and they'll continue crossing until 2:00 pm. Good luck to all of them--to finish is to win!

2 comments:

Coaster Punchman said...

Wow, that looks painful! Hope your recovery has been uneventful.

Joe said...

Yes. The first part consisted mainly of napping and lots of walking, followed by a trip to the Florida Keys where I soaked in sun, salt water and rum for a week.

I just realized a few weeks ago, however, that in not running and enjoying my usual summer routine of beer and barbecue, I've gained about 20 pounds. So now I've cut back on the hillbilly food and I'm planning on the 2007 marathon to keep me honest.