First of all, a big thank you to everyone who participated in the first Germany or Florida quiz of the new year! I think that, with a little luck and determination, over the next year or two we can turn this into the 2007 Chicago Marathon of pointless online trivia quizzes.
I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome some new visitors. Not only did they visit, they jumped right into the game. I'm not sure how or why you showed up lately, but I'm surely glad you did! A hearty compound welcome goes out to:
Mnmom Mnmom seems to be part of that cabal of midwestern bloggers that's somehow associated with Melinda June, Coaster Punchman and Lulu, and she runs a blog called Happy to be from Iowa.
Jess Wundrun Ms. Wundrun runs the aptly-named I Was Just Wondering. She hails from the Badger State, and after looking around her blog I'm happy to report that she does not appear to suffer from the depravity or necrophilia that seems to plague so many residents of Wisconsin.
Now, on to the results.
The winner is Dino aka Katy. She got every single answer correct. This marks the third time in which Ms. Katy has gotten a perfect score (twice she tied with simian savant Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein). While Ms. Katy wields something of an ethnic advantage, being German, I've seen no Floridians step up to even the playing field. Dr MVM has come close (he appears to have some kind of southern white trash detector) but he opted to sit this one out. Dino aka Katy may now retire from future quizzes, and has been made part of the official Sprawling Ramshackle Compound research team.
An honorable mention goes to Mob, of Dear Bastards, for his impressive 7 correct answers! Mob is from Texas, and I think that helps.
This was a tough one. Most of the stories lacked those subtle cultural cues that are so important. If you scored 5 or above, pat yourself on the back. Thanks in no small part to the educational efforts of this blog, most of you scored 6 out of 9.
Here are the answers, with a link to the original stories.
- A sold cellular phone reveals video of a woman beating her child, leading to her arrest.FLORIDA
- Neighbors complain about the scantily-clad model on the sign for a "gentlemans club" in their neighborhood. FLORIDA
- A business owner fires three non-smoking employees for asking for a smoke-free environment. GERMANY
- A yuletide prankster torments his victim by placing Christmas trees in front of his house.FLORIDA (in a town called "Niceville"!)
- A man attempting to throw his old Christmas tree out of his apartment window falls three stories and suffers severe head injuries.GERMANY
- A travel agency offers a clothing-optional charter flight for customers heading to a beachside nudist resort. GERMANY
- A man sets his apartment on fire when he mistakes a bottle of gasoline for a bottle of booze, takes a big gulp and then spits it out. While smoking. GERMANY
- A hitman makes four unsuccessful attempts on an elderly couple. FLORIDA
- A couple were fired from their jobs when their employer found out that, instead of attending a seminar, they went to an S&M dungeon on the company's dime. GERMANY