Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's Mardi Gras season!



We're New Orleans bound. Again.

Remember a few weeks ago when I was stricken with cabin fever, trapped by the dismal cold and yearning for a warm place to get away? It turns out that we're heading back to New Orleans, just me and my bride, for a whirlwind Mardi Gras visit. This time next week we'll be watching parades and wandering through the French Quarter.

I was too damn lazy to do any volunteer work down there this year, so I figure I should at least do my part to help their economy by purchasing as much food and booze as possible. We'll be staying at the fabulous (and purportedly haunted) Le Pavillon hotel on Poydras, right up the street from Mother's. We land Monday afternoon, we'll be there for Lundi Gras and Mardi Gras, and then we'll have Ash Wednesday to recover before flying back home on Thursday.

We've never been to Mardi Gras, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the Zulu and Rex parades on Mardi Gras morning. Our hotel is only a block from the parade route on St. Charles. I've made a couple of reservations for dinner, assuming that our usual haunts will probably be overwhelmed with crowds. We might even get to see Quintron and Miss Pussycat at One-Eyed Jacks. Our main goal is to relax, wander around with nothing in particular to do and enjoy the spectacle.

I'm just starting to get twitchy about it. I have to get the music going, and if you look to the right you'll see a widget that plays some tunes. Go give it a listen. There's a lively debate in our house over which version of "Iko Iko" is better--the Dixie Cups that everyone recognizes, or the original R&B version by Sugar Boy Crawford.

There's lots of getting ready to do, and I promise to keep y'all posted. For now, I feel like a little boy getting ready for Christmas.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just flashed you and the misses. Some beads please!

Have a great time.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Have a great time you crazy kids.

SkylersDad said...

Enjoy yourself and try not to do any time!

PS: My word verification was teatness, how good is that?

Megan said...

I approve purchasing as much food and booze as possible. Your own little stimulus package!

Dino said...

oh have fun and a hurricane for me. Grumpy and I did Mardi Grass years ago and we had a blast. Just be sure to stay drunk as the smell is not to bear on a sober nose.

lisahgolden said...

I'm struggling to not be jealous as all get out!

Have fun!

Mnmom said...

I'm COMPLETELY jealous!!! I love that song. Let the good times roll!

This is Mnmom by the way, I opened another blog and it seem blogspot now identified me there.

Splotchy said...

Have a ziggurat or whatever-the-hell they are called on me.

(sazerac, I know, I know!)

GETkristiLOVE said...

That's awesome. You know, I've never been... have some good food and booze for me.

Randal Graves said...

Enjoy the naked boobies.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oooh I hope you see a ghost! Are there ghost beads as well?

We'll be thinking of you as we no doubt dig out from another snow dump.