Sunday, April 05, 2009

Fangoria Spooksmodel Voting Problems

In the past three days I've gotten at least 15 30 complaints from people who have tried to vote for Nora as the next Fangoria Spooksmodel. The complaints break down like this:

-I voted for Nora, and never received my confirmation email
-I voted for Nora, received my confirmation email but my vote didn't register on the results page
-I voted for Nora, received my confirmation email but the link didn't work
-I voted for Nora and just kept getting a box requesting my email, again and again

These complaints are coming from people who know how to use computers, not from ignoramuses.

Here's something else I found odd. BlueGal was kind enough to give Nora a plug on Crooks and Liars on Saturday. BlueGal linked to us here and directed her readers to come here for directions on how to vote. According to Site Meter over 500 visits came to Sprawling Ramshackle Compound from Crooks & Liars; at least 50-75 of those visitors clicked out by visiting the Fangoria Spooksmodel voting page. During that time Nora did not generate more than 10 votes. No one else generated more than a handful of votes either.

What gives?
I don't know yet if we're going to be confronted with hundreds of digital hanging chads turning up in a shoebox or what. Nora is contacting some of the other contestants to see if they're getting similar complaints from their supporters. (*Note: as of 5:25pm Nora says that she's hearing the same complaints from the other contestants.)

The company running the contest is Creation Entertainment based in Glendale, California. Creation Entertainment is using web polling from an outfit called Sparklit based in Victoria, BC, Canada. We're trying to figure out who to contact if this keeps up.

In the meantime, I apologize to anyone who tried to take a couple of minutes to help Nora out and instead had to experience the unwanted frustration I described above.

And if you haven't voted yet, please give it a shot:

Fangoria Weekend of Horrors Spooksmodel Contest

VOTE FOR NORA!


20 comments:

Coaster Punchman said...

I too have had the "I voted but never received the confirmation" problem, but I thought it was just me. I'll keep trying. Maybe living in Chicago has finally caught up to you.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I had a few problems voting under my other email addresses. But I've voted for her a couple of times I know of that got counted.

Dale said...

Uh oh, here we go again....blame Canada! :-) I got the confirmation email but didn't check to see if the vote tally went up or not. I'll try again and tomorrow.

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

*I'M* gonna complain she didn't win hands down the first time! I mean, c'mon people!! She's th' reel deel!!

jin said...

I keep trying! I have 3 addys at sbcglobal & none of those work, however JDC's is gmail & he said that didn't work either but one of my readers from Australia emailed & let me know that hers worked! Go figure?!

jin said...

p.s. I wanted to keep up & see what place she's in but I can't get to that screen anymore either.

Fran said...

I voted and it seemed to work... Voter fraud is everywhere.

Go Nora!

Cormac Brown said...

At least we know that Kathleen Harris has found gainful employment again. The Missus didn't get a confirmation email either, though we're trying again tonight.

Doc said...

I tried six times before I got mine to work. I didn't click the little round button next to the vote button. Once I did that, everything went just fine.

I AM a computer ignoramus as I haven't even completely figured out my Email yet. What is CC for?

Best of luck nora & Bubs,
Doc

Mnmom said...

I never received the email confirmations either. I'll keep trying.

SkylersDad said...

Perhaps my worm I wrote to hack in and vote once per minute is a bit too much?

Megan said...

Shenanigans!

Well, I'm still going to post a follow-up tomorrow or Tuesday, hopefully the glitches will be remedied by then?

Let me know if you hear anything new.

Dino said...

i keep trying using my wireless modem signing in and out so the IP differs but haven't had any luck with getting the email. I will keep trying

Leah in Chicago said...

It went to my Junk mail, but eventually I was able to confirm.

Johnny Yen said...

Make that 31. I've tried several times and have not gotten an email confirmation. I hope at least the votes are posting. I'm adding a plug on my blog.

Johnny Yen said...

Scratch that-- my vote went through this time. Now off to vote from all my other email addresses...

Barbara Bruederlin said...

My pimp-page is up.

Gifted Typist said...

Eeks, no voter confirmation email here either Bubs.

Motormouth said...

I just tried it again (9:20 EDT Tuesday morning) and it worked! Got the confirmation in my email and clicked on it. Even better: NORA'S IN SECOND PLACE! Keep voting, people!

Dale said...

My votes have finally begun working, confirmation emails and all! Yay!