I love being the first one up on a holiday and having a little time to organize and enjoy the quiet.
After last weekend's 2-day long bacchanal (MizBubs' brothers and their families have gathered at our house for an early Thanksgiving each year for the past 6 or 7 years) during which we fed 27 for dinner on Saturday, and then had brunch for 15 on Sunday, today's Thanksgiving celebration will be a breeze.
So what are we serving up here at the compound on this glorious holiday?
- Appetizers: mini-tarts with onion and mushroom, and celery stuffed with blue cheese
- Corn bread
- Chopped salad
- Hot Brown sandwiches (the family elected to skip the whole turkey and do this instead, it's a Kentucky recipe and a family favorite)
- Mashed potatoes and gravy, because kids demand it at every holiday. I'm roasting the garlic for the potatoes as I type
- Roasted sweet potato rounds
- Brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and pecans
- Southern style green beans
- Corn pudding
- Dessert: apple pie, pumpkin pie and a monstrous chocolate cake. I mean monstrous in a good way.
I hope that whatever trials you've been through will ease for you, and whatever burdens you carry might be lifted. Please accept our wishes to you all for a very warm and peaceful Thanksgiving.