Monday, July 24, 2006

Thinking about cremation

An email list I'm on has recently been talking about cremation, after a member posted this piece from the NY Times.

As for cremation, I'm all for it. The main question for me is, scattering or planting? After visiting cool cemeteries in New Orleans, rural Iowa and Key West, the idea of having a tombstone somewhere has a lot of appeal. I like the idea that some stranger, years in the future, will stand at that spot and say "I wonder what that guy was like?" On the other hand, I love the idea of having my ashes scattered into the Ohio river near Louisville, to make the glorious journey down the Mississippi, through my beloved New Orleans, into the Gulf and on out into the whole wide world.

How's this: Burial at Sea

They'll even pack your cremains into fireworks and shoot you off a barge while your family watches from shore, or from another boat.

It's all ok with me:

"...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." --Genesis 3:19

Just don't ever, EVER stuff me into a huggable urn. As God is my witness, I'll haunt you to death.

No comments: