Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Porch bat

Looks like my theory about the shoe bat was probably correct. That was, one of our dogs probably carried it into the house and lost it some time before MizBubs noticed it.

I got home from work tonight, ending a long week. Within minutes of arriving home I was greeted by the sound of my youngest daughter shrieking at the dogs. A badly injured little brown bat was out on the back porch, apparently just having been chewed on by Duffy. My daughter was upset. I found out that the town we live in does not have an animal control officer. I also realized that the course of action I would have taken if alone--quickly severing the bat's head with a shovel and putting it in the garbage--was definitely not the thing to do under my daughter's bat-mourning gaze.

So that's how I came to be standing on my driveway at 9:30 at night, duct-taping a garbage bag to the exhaust pipe of my car, euthanizing a bat. I hope the neighbors saw this. And to really top off the whole effect, I wore a headlamp.

I have to go to sleep now. In the morning I have to take bat remains, on ice, to an animal hospital to be tested.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE SUCESSFULLY PASSED THE BAT CURSE!!!

WOO!

*hides voodoo candles and bubs family dolls*

Anonymous said...

LOL I just had a visual of you euthanizing the bat.

Joe said...

Heh, Kate, good for you. I'm happy for you. Really. (He says, chuckling to himself over all the midget clown pictures he's been saving up for just such an occasion)

I'm trying to wake up, guzzling coffee after another much-needed heavy sleep. I'm looking out to where I have the bat remains, some clout monkey from work calls me and I've ended up on the phone for a half hour pointlessly debating something he's going to do anyway.

The village building inspector left a "NOT APPROVED" stamp on my front door, saying the front porch is not up to code--and it's the nicest f*cking porch on the street now. Judging from his notes, he wants us to put a metal handrail ON TOP of the stone walls. WTF.

Joe said...

BTW Katy, for some reason I can't leave comments on your blog. Any advice for a techno-retard such as myself?