Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I believe the children are our future


Meet Andrew Riley. He's 13 years old, has a bowl haircut, likes playing basketball, and, according to Athens County, Ohio prosecutors, has committed 128 crimes, mostly felonies. Here's the response from one of his neighbors:

“When we did find out who it was, it sure didn’t surprise me any,” said Tammy Glick, who said neighbors had suspected the 13-year-old of breaking garage windows and stealing bicycles in recent years.
This link features a video that includes a brief interview with Andrew's "stepfather" James Blake. Mr. Blake expresses his bafflement, and seems to blame birth order for Andrew's problems:

"He's our oldest, you know. He's our first born and he's been through a lot."

10 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

Funny- I was a first-born, and I've never broken a garage window or stolen a bicycle.

Some Guy said...

Another firstborn here. I'd always heard that the firstborn was the well-behaved one. Isn't it usually the baby in the family that rebels?

Barbara Bruederlin said...

As the youngest in the family, I can testify that the youngest gets away with everything. The oldest gets blamed for it.

Joe said...

Johnny, Chris, I was thinking the same thing. I'm an oldest kid as well, and I am a paragon of rectitude and responsibility. Ask anyone.

Barbara, I think you're right about the getting away part, but not about the oldest getting blamed. The oldest don't get blamed because we're usually too busy snitching.

lulu said...

I'm the youngest, and I got caught pretty much every time I did something wrong. My older brother, on the other hand, pulled all sorts of stupid shit, and no one ever suspected him.

Johnny Yen said...

I was pretty well behaved until college. My brother who was a year younger than me constantly pulled shit, but was always caught. Basic rule of thumb in life: if you're not smart enough to do something without getting caught, don't do it.

I, on the other hand, was smart enough to get away with things.

Dino said...

gee its not like its the parents fault or anything!

Tenacious S said...

This is what is on the street and these are the parents and they are after me? Where is the justice in this world?

Unknown said...

Did Johnny just call me dumb?

Johnny Yen said...

Nope-- the rule is wait until college.

"There's a time and place for everything...and that place is college."-- Homer Simpson