Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Here comes Independence Day


Right down Independence Day Lane...

Well, I'm not as much of an html retard as I thought. I'm html handi-capable, as it turns out, and I was able to restore my beloved links without much trouble once I was awake enough to concentrate. Now I have a Katie Schwartz meme to attend to, and a backlog of stories involving peacock throttling freaks and random other stuff that's caught my eye.

_________________


The next couple of days are shaping up to be fun but busy. I've been working day shift, from 8:30 to 5pm, since May, which has been a nice change of pace. Today is different. I have to go in at noon to meet the other honor guard officers so that we can practice marching up and down the square in preparation for the 4th of July parade tomorrow. Fortunately our uniforms, while damn good-looking, are not nearly as spectacular as Liberace's.

I'm working nights tonight as part of a crime suppression unit, which means we'll basically be going out to local problem areas looking for gang members and obnoxious drunks. Then, first thing tomorrow morning, it's back at work for the parade.

_________________


My mom called me yesterday after finding this quote in the Sunday paper:

Ninety-nine successive years have we set aside one whole day for killing small boys, putting out eyes, rending limbs and scaring horses as a glorification and symbol of the American idea of freedom.

--Chicago Tribune editorial, July 4, 1875

Yes, it seems that people think of me when the conversation turns to fireworks and accidental injury.

Now, sadly, the combination of work schedules and a mid-week 4th mean that we're not having a big party this year for the holiday. And that means Cousin Clete won't be building his chain link rocket launcher:

9 comments:

Splotchy said...

Please tell me that Liberace picture was photoshopped. That's not a real picture, is it?

Joe said...

Splotchy, that photo is all too real. That is Liberace's special Bicentennial outfit that he had designed for 7/4/1976.

Dino said...

okay that quote confuses me

Some Guy said...

That rocket launcher was pretty damn cool, I have to say.

Joe said...

Chris, wasn't it though? I was envious when I saw that.

Katy, that quote was from an anti-fireworks editorial that appeared over 100 years ago. Showing that disapproving do-gooders were just as much around back then as now.

BeckEye said...

That picture is the greatest thing I've seen in weeks. And I'm even counting the dramatic chipmunk.

Johnny Yen said...

That Liberace picture is going to give me nightmares, I just know it.

justacoolcat said...

I wish Clete was my cousin.

Joe said...

Coolcat, doesn't everyone?

Johnny, I wish I could have found an appropriate sound file to play with it.

Beck, glad you enjoyed it!