Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday dinner

I got nothing. I'd post adorable pictures of cats , but I don't have any. I've always had a hard time balancing competing desires to spout off, to entertain with oddball stories, and to keep some family members who read this kind of up-to-date on what's going on in our lives. I worry about being boring. I worry about being a blowhard. I worry about turning into a blog that becomes a laundry list of random observations and daily events.

Maybe I'll fall back on blogging about food and drink. With pictures.

_____________________


The weekend was great--we went to see The Knitters at the Chicago Folk & Roots Festival, accompanied by the lovely Kim. The festival was great. It was the first time we've been, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and beer. Here's a bonus--I got to see a white trash dude wearing an American flag bandanna do-rag punch out an obnoxious drunk who was bothering flag-man's family. It was f*cking righteous, man.

Oh, and I realized something else, too. One of the great pleasures of summer, especially at places like carnivals and street fairs, is the abundance of side-boob. Sadly, though, I realized that there is a downside--if it's hot enough for there to be plenty of side-boob, there's probably going to be a lot of side man-boob. Hairy side man-boob. Granted, with the crowd consisting mainly of aging NPR listeners, hipsters, hippies and old punk rockers, there weren't too many guys wearing sleeveless gym shirts with the arm holes stretched down to the waist...but still. One is too many.

_____________________

So...now for the food blogging. With a picture. I did the booze blogging part earlier today.



We loves us some Sunday dinners here at the compound. If I'm not working it's usually a great time to cook up something that takes a little while, and wash down the grub with some good booze. Here's tonight's menu:

  • Horseradish-crusted pork loin, cooked on a cedar plank
  • Sugar snap peas, sauteed in olive oil and garlic, tossed with basil and parsley from our garden
  • Steamed, buttered new potatoes tossed with dill and parsley from our garden, and a little sour cream
  • A chilled fruit salad of musk melon and blueberries with a sauce of orange liqueur, honey and lemon juice, tossed with mint and Thai basil from our garden
  • Dessert (not shown) blueberry peach cobbler
The glass is filled with some sangria MizBubs, my favorite enabler, whipped up this afternoon. It used white wine, berries, some of the melon and some triple sec. I'm finishing my last glass now.

_____________________


This week is shaping up to be busy at work. I finished out last week pretty angry at mankind. It was a combination of working some cases involving elderly people getting ripped off, and then that story about the crackpots disrupting the Senate invocation.

I'm feeling better now, helped in no small part by the news that on Saturday one of my detectives arrested a guy who had forged his own elderly mother's name and gotten $20,000 in fraudulent loans in her name. On Friday afternoon, after we left work, one of my other detectives stopped for a haircut, and while he was there saw a suspect in a burglary he was working on. He stopped the suspect, who had been drinking, and ended up getting a confession and recovering a bunch of stolen property. So, good guys 2, bad guys 0.

Ah, one more thing, on a personal note--I found out Saturday I've been accepted into the MBA program I applied for. I start classes in September.

Hope everyone had a decent weekend, and has a good week ahead.



16 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Damn, that dinner looked good. Oh and enjoy that man side boob.

Splotchy said...

You got nothing?!!

I counted:

1. A picture and description of a savory meal
2. Boobs
   a) male
   b) female
3. White trash
4. A haircut, resulting in a
5. Crime thwarted
6. Good Music

I attended a little of the first Folk Festival, but I think I missed most of it due to the recent birth of our twins. I think Richard Thompson, Patti Smith and the Mekons were there, but I only recall seeing the Mekons.

Cup said...

I wanna come over for dinner.

And CONGRATS! on the acceptance!!!!!

Dino said...

Dinner looks good (minus the pork) I luv horseraddish. As sauce or on a sandwich - my lunch today is a sandwich German rye and Mettwurst from Stiegelmeier, IL with horseraddish)

congrats on the MBA

Dale said...

Mmm, tasty meal, post and justice. Not so tasty man boob.

Mob said...

Dinner looks awesome and congrats on the acceptance!

There's nothing more charming than a fat sweaty guy sharing his wealth with the entire world.

Though I do like a nice side-boob...summer's a real catch-22 for me most of the time.

Joe said...

Mob, you hit the nail on the head. Hot weather giveth, and the hot weather taketh away.

Dale, you can't have everything can you?

Katy, you eat wurst but not pork? How does that work?

Beth, let us know if you ever head to Chicago. And thanks! I'm enjoying the high of acceptance before the brutal reality of grad school time constraints and workload kick in.

Splotchy, I bet every time you think of Lincoln Square you fall to your knees and thank God you moved to Berwyn.

Dr MVM, does your campaign have a position on man-boob? I need to know.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

The other downside of the side boob is the unobstructed view of armpit flab, also known as egg mcmuffins. That's nasty stuff.

But boy howdy that dinner looks splendid - I am totally stealing your snap pea recipe. Thanks.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh oh oh - congrats on getting accepted into the MBA program! As if there was ever any doubt.

Johnny Yen said...

Great news all around!

That Sangria sounds delightful. You'll have to whip some up next time we all get together. And hopefully next time, I won't be scheduled to work, and can actually spend some time with you guys.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

My man boobs are okay but yours are not.

Coaster Punchman said...

1. Thanks for pimping my babies!

2. That spread looks AWESOME. You folks are Poor George worthy.

3. Congrats Bubs, future MBA. Perhaps you can help Mindy run Europe.

4. Can we make a gentleman's agreement to drop all this talk of man boob? I feel I've unleashed something untoward onto the Internets.

Katie Schwartz said...

mazel tov, bubbie! as if there was ever a doubt.

1. you could never be dull.
2. what a spread. can I come over?
3. your diva bubbsiekins throws one hell of a cocktail.
4. sounds like you had a great weekend.
5. man hair boob. too funny.

Splotchy said...

For the record, the lame western suburb that begins with a 'B' that I am living in is Brookfield, not Berwyn.

I would like to think someone who lives on the outskirts of Gurnee would know that kind of thing.

Tenacious S said...

Congrats on being accepted! Now the real fun begins.

Melinda June said...

Congratulations! Enjoy the last few months of freedom before you become obsessed with Porter's five forces and the 7p's of marketing.