Tuesday, August 28, 2007


Nothing. Just "hey".

We got our electricity back late Saturday night. Telephone and cable TV Sunday night. Internet access late Monday night.

We were very lucky--no water in the basement, and the tree limb that came down didn't damage anything. We had plenty of ice, and between the cooler and our deep freeze, nothing spoiled.

The library and public schools were all closed on Friday because of the power outage, and I wasn't scheduled to work.

All in all, a not unpleasant few days. We were very, very lucky.

Now, it's time to drop the youngest at school and then go run 9 miles. See y'all later. It looks like I got some catching up to do.


Tenacious S said...

We escaped by the hair of our chinny chin chin. Five miles up the road is massive destruction. Glad you guys are OK. Heard the power was out in your neck of the woods.

Splotchy said...

Glad to hear from you again!

I talked to some of MizSplotchy's relatives in a nearby town, and they said last Thursday's storm was the worst that many long-time residents had seen in their entire lifetime.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm glad to see you back. I was about to send out a search party for you and the family.

Grant Miller said...

Glad you're okay.

But why run nine miles? Why not drive or get a cab?

bill t said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. Our small corner of the South Side was spared most of the havoc. All we lost was 2-1/2 days of cable & Internet.
It's terrible what an irritable void that leaves. I kept opening my browser by reflex, like some phantom limb that keeps tingling.
Knowing that so many people had real problems didn't make it less frustrating. Stella cheered when the Cable came back on.
We are cyber-trash.

Anonymous said...

I'll take earthquakes over that stuff any day of the week. Wow.

Erik Donald France said...

If things happen in threes, we've had one school break for curfew, one for power outage, and now it's time for ME to get one! (Haha)

lauralu said...

Glad to hear you guys didn't get any water.

My daughter was freaking out on Thursday at around 330 and thought that she was going to die in the storm - that's how bad it was here.

We ended up losing power Thurs to Sat, but all things considered we were lucky. Even got to empty the frig of all the misc stuff that has accumulated over the years.


Beth said...

I wondered why you weren't posting. Glad it wasn't too bad.

Mob said...

Wow, glad you survived all that pretty much unscathed.

Dino aka Katy said...

i am glad to hear you guys are okay. I saw some pictures of Des plaines and it didn't look pretty