Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Son Of The Son Of The Story Virus (v3)

Splotchy needs to see a doctor. Or at least take some antibiotics and remove himself from the blogosphere until he's no longer contagious. He got me again:
Here's what I would like to do. I want to create a story that branches out in a variety of different, unexpected ways. I don't know how realistic it is, but that's what I'm aiming for. Hopefully, at least one thread of the story can make a decent number of hops before it dies out.

If you are one of the carriers of this story virus (i.e. you have been tagged and choose to contribute to it), you will have one responsibility, in addition to contributing your own piece of the story: you will have to tag at least one person that continues your story thread. So, say you tag five people. If four people decide to not participate, it's okay, as long as the fifth one does. And if all five participate, well that's five interesting threads the story spins off into.

Not a requirement, but something your readers would appreciate: to help people trace your own particular thread of the narrative, it will be helpful if you include links to the chapters preceding yours.
So here's what he started with:
The bus was more crowded than usual. It was bitterly cold outside, and I hadn't prepared for it. I noticed that a fair number of the riders were dressed curiously. As I glanced around, I stretched my feet and kicked up against a large, heavy cardboard box laying under the seat in front of me.
My continuation:

Its owner, a fat shifty-looking hillbilly, slouched uncomfortably under the weight of his Bulgarian army surplus wool coat and cap. I could tell he wasn't cut out for this weather. He jerked around, almost spastic, when he felt the box tap against his feet. He gulped and stared at me bug-eyed, one obscene rivulet of sweat running down his temple, down along his jaw, finally disappearing somewhere between his second chin and the fake fur collar of his coat.

Right away, and for no good reason, he pissed me off.
_____________________

I'll tag Katie Schwartz, Cormac, Splotchy, our eldest, Dale and Bacon Lady.


6 comments:

Splotchy said...

Whoa. Nice. I don't know if I can do your addition justice. I'll try.

Randal Graves said...

Don't mess with Bulgaria.

Bacon Lady said...

I did it!

Bacon Lady said...

I fixed it. Rereading through it, I had your passage wrong.

It's all better now. Sorry 'bout that.

Cormac Brown said...

I dood it.

Splotchy said...

Done!

And you have been retagged!