Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentines Day



Here's wishing all of you a swanky Valentines Day weekend. Ignore all that Hallmark PajamaGram Vermont Teddy Bear bullshit, and just do something nice for each other, ok? Face it--if you haven't done anything thoughtful or romantic or unexpected for the previous 364 days, whipping out your credit card now for some totally predictable "gift" isn't going to help.

Have a nice drink together, or something good to eat, or just curl up, turn off the phone and watch some movies together. Have fun that doesn't involve marketing or selling you something.

So what are we doing? We're going to check out the recently reopened Trader Vic's for dinner. I've heard they've got a much-improved menu over the hokey "Polynesian" themed stuff they used to serve up at the Palmer House, and the drink menu is still fantastic. I'm looking forward to a Suffering Bastard, I think.

When we're done strapping on the feedbag we'll head over to the Abbey Pub for the Belmont Burlesque Review. MizBubs, God bless her sweet heart, is remarkably tolerant of my fondness for watching a good striptease.

Saturday we're sleeping in, and then there is nothing else planned. And an un-planned weekend is a good weekend.

13 comments:

Randal Graves said...

What if it was a PajamaBear TeddyGram? Wait, isn't that a cereal?

Romance is for you young folks. I'm going to work tomorrow, coming home and watching the NBA All-Star crap. I'm not sure what my wife is planning on doing.

Enjoy your scantily-clad ladies, always a treat!

SkylersDad said...

Happy Valentines day to you and mrs Bubs also!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Check your mail in a day or so. I saw something in a junk store while we were out last wekend and it made me think of you so I bought and have sent it to you. I hope it arrives in one piece.

Megan said...

Sounds like a good plan! Y'all have a lovely time and a Happy Valentine's Day.

And let us know what you got from the Monkey, if it arrives safely!

Mnmom said...

We're doing NOTHING for Valentine's Day because I hate the whole notion. When we had more time, I made him a lasagna and he cleaned out my car. Now we have three kids which shows we loved each other quite a bit, right?

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

I like your idea, bubs...Doc is not a Valentine's Day guy I think I can swing this one with him. Maybe if I threw in a striptease.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by tonight at the Abbey Pub - have a Happy Valentine's Day from all the Belmont Bombshells!

kisses and bunnies,

Paris Green
The Belmont Burlesque Revue

Some Guy said...

We are going the unplanned route as well. It is going to be great!

Have a great weekend you guys!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You two are so adorable, I am surprised that the whole world doesn't send you Valentine cards.

Distributorcap said...

c;mon -- what would life be withoug all those pajama gram commercials - you know all that spa stuff women like

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a nice time at Trader Vic's and that no cards or pajama- or teddygrams were exchanged and that no pasties were removed. But I do hope at some point that articles of clothing were removed on your unplanned Saturday...

lulu said...

How was trader vics?

Whiskeymarie said...

We had nachos, pizza and beer at a neighborhood dive, then went home and watched stupid movies.

It was perfect. Hope yours was too.